Cheating: Cause and Cure October 31, 2014 06:49
Cheating can be a sign a student is stuck. Having high expectation for oneself can lead a student to resort to cheating. Many times these students are penalized, this does not change their situation. They are often labeled bad students.
Because they have not been taught to recognize what it feels like to be stuck and then how to get unstuck.
Stephanie was working on math concepts and asked to go to the bathroom. After returning ten minutes later, she resumed her attempt at solving a few problems. Five minutes later, her peer informed me she was cheating.
Her sudden desire to go to the restroom was the first sign of a struggle. The first sign of the stress response is to flea. In nature, the first thing that animals do for a quick get-away is to eliminate any waste that could slow them down. We are no different. When we feel stressed for any reason, it is natural to suddenly have to use the bathroom. So, when a student suddenly has to use the bathroom, it could be due to the fight or flight response because they are lost, confused, don't know how to get started, or are afraid the teacher will get mad at them.
1. Students must understand that it is okay to not know how to do what the teacher just taught. Reassuring them that their questions about what is confusing helps the teacher be more effective in teaching them. Being bright is not going to save them from experiencing "not knowing."
2. Students must over-come the fear of asking questions. There is a belief that questions will make them look dumb in front of their peers. My video will help them see the value of their questions and them overcome this common fear. Please have them watch it.
3. As soon as students feel like it's time to visit the bathroom, have them ask themselves, "Am I stuck. Do I need to ask a question?" Then have them determine the exact part of the question that is confusing.
4. Help them realize that cheating means they feel they shouldn't struggle. Tenacity is the one characteristic that sets one researcher who can cure a terminal disease apart from another researcher who falls short. Struggle is the one thing that will cement a concept. Working through the challenge gives a good feel of accomplishment that prevents dendrites from pruning.
5. Teachers will want to remind themselves that if a student cheats, they don't know another way of overcoming an obstacle. They simple need another way of handling the challenge. This requires trying different things until a strategy is found that works.